Travel Documents For Mexico

Travel Documents needed for travel to Mexico, Yellow Umbrella Events, travel tips and tricks

So, you’ve finally booked a vacation to Mexico! Now is the time to check your passport. As in physically check it – go right now and make sure you have it in your possession and that it’s fully valid and in great condition! I can’t tell you how many people “think” they remember where they put their passport after their last trip, only to go looking for it and it’s not there. We advice that you put your hands on it physically and review it before you book your travel.

Do You Have A Valid passport?

It’s important to know that since you’re traveling out of the country, a valid passport might not be enough to allow you to board your flight. It might expire too soon to meet the foreign country’s requirements. You need to make sure your passport is valid for at least the day past your return date from Mexico. Having a passport that is valid for your date of travel isn’t enough – it has to be valid for your entire stay and through your return date to the US. 


Passport Book Or Passport Card?

A passport BOOK is required for air travel to/from Mexico. If you only have a passport card you will be denied boarding. Passport cards are only sufficient for land border crossings. All air travel must have a valid passport BOOK in excellent condition to travel. 


Correct Documentation

All travelers, both international and domestic, are required to present proper identification upon flight check-in and when clearing security or Customs.

It’s the traveler’s responsibility to provide the correct documents and failure to do so may result in being denied boarding for the flight. Regrettably, most hotels/resorts/excursions won’t refund unused flights, hotels, or excursions because of denied boarding situations. Most travel insurance will not cover these situations either! So it’s best to make sure that you are legally allowed to travel and have a current and accurate passport book.


International Travel

All international passengers, regardless of age, must present a government-issued, non-expired, U.S. passport upon flight check-in and for U.S. Customs re-entry after air, land, or sea travel. For more information regarding this requirement, please visit the State Department’s website.

Before you travel, make sure you also know the entry requirements of your destination country which can be found by visiting the country’s consulate or embassy web site. 


Legal Issues? Owe Back Child Support?

Did you know that you may be denied boarding if you have certain prior legal convictions, a current warrant, owe back child support, or owe back taxes? This is often a surprising fact and you don’t want to learn it as you’ve trying to board a flight to Mexico! If you are unsure of your ability to fly, you should contact your attorney and/or the US State department prior to booking travel. Being denied entry into a country, due to past legal issues, is not covered by most travel insurance, so it’s very important that you are sure you can legally travel internationally.


What About Traveling With Children?

Airlines may require special or additional documentation for children traveling without their legal guardian, beyond what is mandated by the destination country. We encourage you to contact your air carrier for clarification on what documentation may be needed.


Damaged Passport?

Did you know that you can be denied boarding and/or denied entry into Mexico if you have a damaged passport? If your passport has been torn, bitten, chewed on, has pages that have come loose from the binding, has pages that have been written on, and more, you will need a replacement passport prior to travel. We have had passengers that were allowed on to international flights that were denied boarding entry in destination, due to damaged passports, so this is an area where you might slip through and be able to get on a plane, but could be denied entry once you arrive. If you think there is any possibility that your passport is too worn or damaged, you will need to receive a replacement passport before your travels.


Passport Renewal?

If you need to renew your passport please visit this website.

Border control officer puts a stamp in the passport page of passport stamps

If you’ve never had a Passport, please visit this site to apply for it now. 

Routine: 7 to 10 weeks*

Expedited: Costs an extra $60. Takes 4 to 6 weeks.*

*Processing times begin the day we receive your application at a passport agency or center, not the day you mail your application or apply.

Submit your original evidence of U.S. citizenship.

Submit a photocopy of the front (and back, if there is printed information) of your original evidence of U.S. citizenship.
Photocopies must be: legible, on white 8.5”x11” standard paper, black and white, and single sided.
In some cases, you may be able to submit a certified copy of your citizenship evidence. A certified copy is any document that has the seal or stamp of the official issuing authority.
If you don’t want to submit a photocopy of your citizenship evidence, you may submit a second certified copy of your citizenship evidence, which we will keep. If you don’t submit a photocopy or a second certified copy of your citizenship evidence, your passport processing could be delayed.
You cannot submit digital evidence of U.S. citizenship (e.g. electronic or mobile birth certificate) when applying for a U.S. passport. You must continue to submit your physical evidence of U.S. citizenship and a photocopy of it. 

If you’ve never had a Passport, please visit this site to apply for it now. 

Routine: 7 to 10 weeks*

Expedited: Costs an extra $60. Takes 4 to 6 weeks.*

*Processing times begin the day we receive your application at a passport agency or center, not the day you mail your application or apply.

Passport and vintage camera

Starting May 5, 2025, TSA will enforce the Federally mandated REAL ID requirements on all domestic travel. For US states that have not been granted an extension, travelers 18 and over are required to present a passport, or other REAL ID-compliant forms of identification before boarding a federally regulated commercial aircraft.